Front-end web developer
We're looking for a front-end web developer that takes immense pride in creating pixel-perfect front-end work for digital projects. You’ll know exactly how to make that happen because you've done it loads of times before. Your mac or PC (whichever you prefer) is your best friend and your suite of development tools were invented with you in mind.
Your attention to detail will be scary. You'll despise sloppy development and will thrive on making sure that every part of the UI kit you get from the creative team is working like a dream. You'll also appreciate the importance of it all working as well on a mobile device as it does on a desktop.
So what do we want from you?
Well, other than a can-do attitude and a good sense of humour, we'd like you to have a 2/3 year’s experience under your belt. Sorry if you're just starting out, but we're looking for someone who can hit the ground running. That said, if you think you've seen and done it all before and there's nothing new left to learn then maybe we're not right for each other. We like someone who sees every day as an opportunity to develop and challenges themselves to improve. Even if that means getting something wrong every now and then. After all, we'd never learn anything without the odd hiccup or two that teaches us a lesson. Wouldn't you agree?
So, cutting to the chase, here's a few 'must-haves':
- Ability to accurately convert designs into semantic front-end HTML and CSS
- Familiarity with Photoshop
- Integrating built mark-up into template systems
- Responsive design for modern browsers, including cross-browser compatibility issues and how to resolve them
- Source code management with version control, especially Git
- Ability to partner with back-end developers to architect and build sites
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
- The ability to handle multiple critical tasks and self-manage
And here's a few 'nice-to-haves':
- Experience with CSS Preprocessors (SASS/Less etc.)
- Experience working with large projects, utilising build tools like Gulp or Webpack
- Measuring and optimising front-end performance.
- Managing projects with a ticketing system, e.g. Jira
- Experience with PHP and/or Laravel
We also feel we should be clear about what makes a successful Escapee. Here are some of the fundamentals we would expect from you:
- A willingness to live and breathe our core values – customer first, creativity and innovation, one team, and 'more'
- Hard work and dedication
- Attention to detail
- An ability to effectively communicate with your colleagues and our clients
- A willingness to go the extra mile, even if it means a late one every now and then
- A warm, friendly and open personality
- Honesty – be willing to tell us what you think and be ready to receive it too
- Be prepared to challenge us and help us grow
Here's a little more information about the people we work with and some of the benefits of working at The Escape.
A few of the fantastic clients we are lucky enough to work with are:
- Bombay Sapphire
- Infinity Motorcycles
- Hawk-Eye Innovations
- Warner Bros.
- Harbour Hotels Group
- Serco Plc
Escapees get work in a very attractive 'Old Farmhouse’ (by name and nature) with a team of delightful, like-minded people (honest). There’s also a number of small perks you can expect along the way:
- You'll get your birthday off as an extra day’s holiday (or next working day if it falls on a weekend)
- We have a cycle-scheme, a government-backed system enabling you to get a discounted bike from a local bike shop and pay for it with monthly contributions from your salary, reducing your tax bill and getting a bike at a much-reduced cost.
- You will receive complimentary access to Perkbox – enjoy discounts and freebies from some of the UK’s biggest brands, recognise and reward your colleagues and get access to health and wellbeing support
- We have a quarterly team outing to congratulate ourselves for our hard work and celebrate successes
- We'll fund training which is relevant to your role here at the Escape
- We'll purchase any equipment that we agree will enable you to develop within your role
- BBQ’s happen every other Friday throughout the summer (even if under a brolly)
- Friday afternoon at 4pm is always 'beer-o-clock' (other beverages are available if beer's not your thing!)
- Our back-garden backs onto a very quaint thatched pub called The Portsmouth Arms
We appreciate the value of talent, so we’re not afraid to provide the right financial package for the right person.
If you believe you have what it takes to be an Escapee, then email your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org to get the ball rolling. If you have a personal website or examples of work you have delivered then please share these too.
Unfortunately, if you're a recruitment agency, however super-duper 'different' you are, if you've got this far... we're NOT dying to hear from you... so probably best to not even try. Cheers anyway.